Dear Shambhala Community,
On December 21, 2021 the Shambhala and Sakyong Potrang Boards agreed to settle the mediation process begun in August, 2021. The key points of the settlement are:
- At the request of the Shambhala Board, the Sakyong and the Sakyong Potrang have agreed to relinquish their “sole member” roles and authorities expressed in the Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation of the Shambhala organization. As part of that agreement, the Sakyong and the Sakyong Potrang will no longer be involved in the selection of Shambhala Board members, or directly in the governance and administration of the Shambhala Organization. However, any of the following actions would require the agreement of the Shambhala Board and a representative of the holder of the Sakyong Lineage:
- Amendment of the Articles of Incorporation
- Amendment of the Bylaws
- Sale of substantially all of the assets or the liquidation or dissolution of Shambhala.
- The purposes of the Shambhala organization have been amended to add the ‘presentation, propagation, and support for the teachings of the Lineage of the Sakyongs of Shambhala’.
- The Sakyong Potrang has perpetually licensed the Shambhala name and related US trademarks to the Shambhala USA organization at no cost for use in support of these purposes.
- No transfer of properties or assets occurred as a result of this agreement.
The full agreement can be found here. A link to a document describing the specific changes to the Shambhala USA and Shambhala Canada Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws can be found here.
Shambhala Board of Directors
Sakyong Potrang Board of Directors
- Source: https://mailchi.mp/37eae07914f6/joint-statement-773074