The 2020 Sense of Shambhala Survey was organized by an independent working group of the Shambhala Process Team. The goal of the survey was to describe where we are right now as a Shambhala community. The survey was not intended as an opinion poll or as an exercise in identifying the consensus way forward for Shambhala. Instead our intention was to listen deeply to all segments of Shambhala, to map the ground and understand how experiences and issues in Shambhala are understood by those who took the time and had the interest to respond.
Email invitations to respond to the survey were sent to 11,666 individuals who were currently members of Shambhala, who have been members of Shambhala, who have completed through Level III of Shambhala Training or engaged in an advanced assembly program. The purpose of this broad invitation was to understand the experiences of the many people who feel connected to Shambhala, no matter their current membership status.
Here are some questions that you can find answers to in the Sense of Shambhala Survey findings:
- What is the mix of practice and study paths represented in our community? (Answer in Part 1)
- How have local Shambhala Centres and Groups been affected by the crisis in Shambhala? (Answer in Part 2)
- Is there consensus or disagreement about key issues facing Shambhala going forward? (Answer in Part 3)
Here are links to the first three parts of the results of the Sense of Shambhala Survey. Each report includes a summary and also a set of detailed tables presenting the findings.
Part 1 presents quantitative results from the questions describing individual respondents, their characteristics, practices, challenges, feelings of marginalization and responses to the current Shambhala crisis. Part 1 Sense of Shambhala Survey
Part 2 presents quantitative results from the questions describing respondent’s experience with local Centres and Groups in Shambhala. Part 2 Sense of Shambhala Survey
Part 3 presents quantitative results from the questions describing respondent’s experience with the larger Shambhala Mandala. Part 3 Sense of Shambhala Survey
Part 4 of this report will be posted when the analysis is complete. Part 4 presents a detailed qualitative analysis of the many open ended questions included in the Sense of Shambhala Survey. These are being analyzed by a separate volunteer group of Shambhala community members with expertise in this methodology. Some of these responses are short, and some are quite long. All were submitted from the heart, and all are deemed equally valid in understanding the current situation in Shambhala.
In the reports, you will find simply the results of the surveys with minimal interpretation. Contemplating, exploring and interpreting the results, and deciding what they mean for the future of Shambhala is up to us.
- If you would like to join conversations with fellow community members about the survey findings and related topics affecting us all, please sign up for the Community Conversation Contact List. The Process Team will be organizing these conversations, and we will keep you up-to-date on when and how they will occur.
- If you are part of a group within the Shambhala community that would like a closer, customized look at the survey findings, relevant to your issues of interest, please sign up for the Group Customized Analysis Request
These survey findings are available to the entire community, and are a powerful support for informing how to shape our initiatives moving forward. To find out more about current initiatives in Shambhala that address reform, healing and activities going forward, please click here.
(link to Board statement on Board web page).